Drink and driving are one of the most serious crimes and the person head guilty can get a jail sentence and lose his driving license. It is very dangerous not only for the driver, but also for other people on the road. It is your responsibility to drive safe and drink safely without harming anyone. Though sometimes we make mistakes and bad decisions like driving under influence. If you are pulled over for DUI, there are some steps that you must take.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Always remember that whenever a police officer has decided to pull you over for DUI, never try to run away. Find a safe place and pull over your car. If you are wearing any kind of glasses, hood or hats, pull them off and keep your hands on the wheel. Do not get out of the car unless said so by the officer. Always remember that this will cause a significant impact on your DUI hearing and criminal trial.
- Never misbehave or disobey the law enforcement. You have committed an offense and you must behave politely instead of panicking. This is the time when you can even worsen your situation by not behaving appropriately.
- If you are hostile or rude, your chances of getting arrested will increase automatically. Do whatever the police say without any questioning. If the police say to step out your vehicle, do so without resisting, or you could be charged with resisting arrest.
- Obviously, the situation is not easy and due to anxiety, you may act out scary, but never incriminate yourself. You will have to hand over your license and all the other details but if anyone asks you that have you been drinking, simple reply that you are sorry that you won’t be able to answer any of their questions. But this does not means that you have lie. If you decide to answer their questions, answer truthfully or the lies could be harmful to you during the court trials.
- Never agree to take the hand-held breathalyzer or field sobriety test. You are under no obligation to take these tests and often they are considered unreliable. But you will have to take the chemical test at the police station which can be either a blood test or breath test.
- Once you are done with the police, note down all that happened in detail. You must always keep the record of every event and every detail so that you will later have enough proof for your DUI trials.
You can also choose to contact DUI attorneys who will help you defend your case. There are some really reputed and qualified lawyers in Orlando like Moses and Rooth Attorneys at Law. They will help you fight for your rights and guide you through the legal procedures.
All you need to do once you are out of all the trouble is to be safe the next time. Be a responsible adult and do not risk your and others lives by making some wrong choices.